Fingerspelling in vertical columns

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Aug 5 01:11:19 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
August 4, 2006

Hello Anny and everyone!
Oh...I did not mean for us to choose one or the other...I meant that
we can be open-minded towards writing the fingerspelling down, as
well as write it across..whatever the writer feels fits the movements
better...for some reason I generally like it down...I am as surprised
as you are!

For example, if you are really moving your arm from left to right
while you fingerspell, then I think that should show a movement arrow
to the side and yes...the fingerspelling would be written from left
to right in that case...

But ASL, as you know, fingerspells a lot..I will show you the first
page of credits for Jack and Jill next message, and you will see what
I mean...and in those cases, if the fingerspelling is not actually
moving side, but staying in one place generally, and there may be a
little movement forward, but not side...then it could be placed
down...I think it is easier because we are reading the columns down
anyway...and so it is going in the same direction...

So let's be flexible and see how different people choose to write
it...smile...it will be interesting to watch!

Val ;-)