DanceWriting and SportsWriting Puddles

Sun Feb 19 22:01:29 UTC 2006

Hi Erika,

Getting signs into Word is not straight forward, but it is possible.
Once you understand what you need to do, moving signs into word isn't
that hard.

There are 2 ways to get the signs into a word document.

Drag and Drop
---------------
After you have completed a document in the SignText editor, you can go
to the Link or Email screens.  These screens will have the signs as
single images, rather than overlapping symbols.  You can drag individual
signs from the browser window into word.

Copy and Paste
----------------
Copy and paste is the best option because it can take all of the signs
together, keep the lane information, and keep the signs centered properly.

However, copy and paste can be hit or miss.  You will need to experiment
to find what works for you.  You can try a Select All and Copy from your
email client or from the SignText Link page.  Neither of these worked
for me properly.  From my email client I only had the table and no
signs.  From the Link page I had the signs but without the table.

I was able to find a solution that worked for me.  From my browser, I
opened the SignText link page.  Using Firefox, I used the menu option
File >> Save page as... to save a local copy to the desktop.  I opened
the local copy and used Select All and Copy.  When I pasted into Word,
all of the graphics appeared in a table.  I reformatted the table to
hide the border and was left with the signs appearing correctly in Word.

Go ahead and try to experiment to see what works for you.  You can email
me privately if you need some help with your particular setup.

Regards,
-Steve
slevin at signpuddle.net