SIGNTEXT Copying Sentences into Microsoft Word

Tue Feb 21 20:28:31 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
February 21, 2006

Erika in Michigan wrote:
> ....I'm trying to figure out how to represent contact with the
> chest. I see two groups that are likely candidates for representing
> that - in particular the series indicated with by the torso with
> the dot on the neck. But I do want to be sure I'm using the system
> correctly - is there an online source that explains all the symbols
> in sign text editor?

As far as the online source for SignText goes...I am still writing
that manual and it is not done!

However, I am here to help. Your question is easy to answer....Do not
use those little men with the the dots on them to write signs! Those
symbols are designed for something else...they are used in the
SignSpelling Column to establish detailed sorting by Sign-Symbol-
Sequence by detailed location...I can explain more about that at
another time.

Right now, you want to write contact with the chest. There are two
ways to do that...A contact star is written, most of the time with a
Shoulder Line above to show the exact area on the chest for the
contact...but more and more we are finding that the Shoulder Line is
not always required...it depends on the sign...look at the sign for
Fine in ASL attached...the first one that I attached here...it is
read just fine (smile) without the Shoulders...so experiment a little
with what seems best for you...Go to the ASL SignPuddle and look up a
bunch of signs that you know contact the chest to see examples...

American SignPuddle
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-US

So attached are some American signs that contact the chest. If you
want to show us a photo or video of the sign you want to write, we
can write it together here on the List...or post us your SignWriting
and see if we can read it!