Writing mouthing of words with SSW

Sun Feb 26 22:25:16 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
February 26, 2006

Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> I personally do not care but I observe (or at least try to ) as
> open minded
> as possible any SL performance and if there is something like this
> "mouthing" well I think it should be a part of the transcription.

For a performance....For Movement Writing purposes... I think that is
great! But when it comes to CULTURE, a movement scribe cannot always
know what is important and what is not important to a sign if they
are writing a sign language they do not know, from another country
with another spoken language...The fact that two Deaf people born
into the same Deaf family mouth differently, and they are both
perfectly understood in the Deaf and hearing ASL Community, shows
that the mouthing is not as important as other grammatical features
on the face...for writing ASL that is...but writing CASE you are
right...maybe mouthing could be important there...

> On the other hand - you can bet that it depends on the dialog
> partner! And
> even my transcription depends on the reader. Higher competence in both
> language systems will lead to less Mundbilder.

Really? Think so? That is very interesting and actually points to
what I said above...there are some facial aspects in ASL that must be
written or it can be misunderstood...so there is no choice in those
cases...but Mundbilder (mouthing of words silently while signing),
are not required for understanding in written ASL...in fact they
could take away from learning to write more important facial
expressions related to ASL grammar...

Important - Everyone write as you feel is best...No one is telling
you what to write...SignWriting is freedom to express yourself as you
see fit...We are all learning together...