length limit

Mon Feb 6 21:58:09 UTC 2006

Hi Charles and Everyone -
Although a spell checker would be great in the future, to do that, we
would have to have a dictionary that doesn't change...right now the
Community SignPuddles are places for people to experiment with how to
write, so we have many versions of the same sign because it is a
practice place...

To get a spell checker to work, it would have to access a dictionary
that is stable and not changing...it implies that there are
standardized spellings...This new SignText is more like the old
typewriters that were not computers...There were no spell checkers on
a basic typewriter before...but people could still compose a nice
document...so I guess we have to walk before we can run!

All this will come in time....we just need to give it more than a
week - ha!

And SignText is not just for email...it is more for creating
sentences as diagrams for Word documents etc...so it is a useful tool
that will evolve and be used in many different ways...I find it quite
fast to drag and drop symbols and create signs with the proper facial
expressions...When we access a dictionary we have a problem, because
the dictionary cannot have the facial expressions that are proper for
a sign in a certain position in the sentence...so dictionaries
accessed for spell checkers in English may be a little simpler, but
ASL has fluctuating facial expressions...

Val ;-)