length limit

Cherie Wren cwterp at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 7 00:59:06 UTC 2006

Once you institute standardized spellings, you lose a
lot of the variability that is inherent in sign
language:  unless you come up with a way to include
all the 'inflections' possible for each sign...
Because so much information is carried in the head and
body movements... but then again, written English
can't convey the 'tone of voice' and lots of the
emotional meaning.  I am thinking of all the TeachASL
folks who want to challenge everything--- "well, can
you write THIS?"  As of right now, we can, but if we
go to standardized spellings, some of that would go
away, except in the research version...

English has relatively standard spellings, because
there are relatively standard pronounciations...  You
say the word 'fly' the same, whether you mean an icky
bug; getting on a plane, terrified; getting on a
plane, eagerly; or RUN AWAY!  In Sign, If I use a
different facial expression, I change the meaning of
what I sign.  Facial Adverbs for example...  If I sign
'drive' with my tongue sticking out and my head cocked
to the side a little bit, that changes the meaning to
'drive carelessly.'  How would standardized spellings
incorporate things like that?

Does that make sense?

cherie

http://signbank.org/signpuddle/signtext/signtext.html