classifier sentence

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Tue Feb 14 14:08:25 UTC 2006

First...The eyegaze. It is written looking back-diagonal right now, but I
wonder if you want it to look down-diagonal? If so, then the eyegaze
should be double-stemmed arrows...The single-stemmed arrows, as you know,
show eyegaze forward or side or back...movement parallel to the floor...
>ARRRGH!  I thought I remembered being corrected on the eyegaze before,
and tried to get it right this time.  Obviously I still need work on
eyegaze...  Is there an E-lesson on that?

Second, the sign for falling down...does the left hand really end with the
fingers pointing toward the chest?
>The sign for falling down does indeed end with the fingers pointing back
at the chest.  I sent a video to you, Val, of the sentence.  Its too big
to go to the list.

Third...I wonder, in the sign for falling down, if you want the left
hand's fingers in-between the right hand's fingers? if so, then that would
be a Brush-Between symbol, which you can find next to the Brush symbol...
>the bent-v (the cat) should be brushed, but either with the right hand
between the left, or in front of the left. I never sign it the same way
twice... ::grin::

The next time I teach a sign class I am -SO- going to use signwriting and
force the students to learn it... it really forces to you to focus on
exactly what is important in the sign!

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Valerie Sutton" <sutton at signwriting.org>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
02/11/2006 08:24 PM
Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [sw-l] classifier sentence

SignWriting List
February 11, 2006

Cherie from Georgia School for the Deaf wrote:
This is almost all classifiers... Can you read it? Did I make any spelling
mistakes this time? ::grin:: It would translate roughly as "I hate it when
the cat twines between my legs and makes me trip."

Hello Cherie and Everyone!
What a fabulous SignSentence...THANK YOU for taking the time to write
sentences and to post them to the SignWriting List! This is really
exciting ;-)

Any spelling mistakes are very minor. I hope you don't mind that I discuss
the writing of the signs...It is an excellent exercise for all of us, to
study writing sentences...and everyone makes mistakes ...I know I
do...Your sentences are valuable for research to learn where things are
hard and where they are easy -

I noticed three small things...

First...The eyegaze. It is written looking back-diagonal right now, but I
wonder if you want it to look down-diagonal? If so, then the eyegaze
should be double-stemmed arrows...The single-stemmed arrows, as you know,
show eyegaze forward or side or back...movement parallel to the floor...

Second, the sign for falling down...does the left hand really end with the
fingers pointing toward the chest? If so that is perfect!

Third...I wonder, in the sign for falling down, if you want the left
hand's fingers in-between the right hand's fingers? if so, then that would
be a Brush-Between symbol, which you can find next to the Brush symbol...

Any weight shifting in this sentence? There is none written, so I assume
not...I wonder if there isn't a brief pause between the second and third
sign...You say: Me standing here...pause?  that would be the comma
punctuation mark...

I think this is super! Can others on the List read this sentence?  Val ;-)