Left-Handed and Right-Handed in SW

Neil Bauman neil at HEARINGLOSSHELP.COM
Mon Jan 16 13:03:19 UTC 2006

Hi Renato:

I seldom post, but would like to jump in and answer your question
from the perspective of a left-handed person.

>Why don't Left-Handed person performs sign the same
>way of Right-Handed?

The main reason that we like to sign left-handed is the same reason
we write left-handed--our brains are "wired" that way--so it is the
natural and easy way for us.

>Sometimes, we need to change the base hand of the
>sign.  Its like to play piano. It does not exist left-handed,
>and right-handed piano.

I wish there were a left-handed piano! I would have liked it!

>Please, could you explain this. I would like to know
>about this, because I've never had to teach
>left-handed person.

Just because we SIGN left-handed, personally I see no reason to WRITE
SW left-handed. I write the signs right-handed, but sign them
left-handed. This makes for a standardized way of reading SW.

This is no different than writing any other language. We don't have
left-handed and right-handed versions of written English for
example.  (I would love to write from right to left and form all the
letters "backwards" because that is my NATURAL way to write--which is
the way I used to "write" before I went to school.) However, we don't
do this. We write English in the standard way to avoid a lot of
confusion. I think this is the way we should also write SW. This is
my personal opinion as a left-handed person in a right-handed world.

Regards

                                         Neil

Neil Bauman, Ph.D.
Center for Hearing Loss Help