Left-Handed and Right-Handed in SW

Mon Jan 16 16:27:21 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
January 16, 2006

Stefan Wöhrmann in Germany wrote:
> But nevertheless he has got no problem what so ever to identify the
> SW symbols written for right hand signers. In my class there are 2
> left hand writer girls - they perform absolutely fluently and
> brilliantly in reading any SW - document written for right hand
> people. Stefan ;-)

Thank you for this excellent information, Stefan. You have a lot of
experience, teaching Deaf children SignWriting for several years, so
it is important for us to know that reading right or left handed
signing in SignWriting is not a problem for your Deaf students...

Just as two signers can understand each other in a signing-
conversation...even though one is right-handed and one is left-
handed...they can still understand each other's signs with no
confusion...it is the same when reading the signs in SignWriting too...

So that is READING signs...

But what about writing signs?...Do your left-handed students choose
to write left-handed signs, writing exactly what they sign, or do
they write right-handed signs with no problem switching from the way
they sign to writing the opposite hand?