When are Sign Languages considered written languages?

Fri Jan 27 02:25:04 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
January 26, 2006

Dear SW List Members -
I want to share with you a very interesting conversation I had today
with someone from the Deaf Community in the US. Yesterday, someone on
the TeachASL List (a group of people who are teachers of American
Sign Language), posted a message saying that ASL is not a written
language and that sometimes people criticize ASL for not being
written...

So I answered that ASL IS a written language because there are some
people writing it now, and then I posted a sentence written in ASL,
like this...continued next message...smile...