ASL Grammar - Is this correct?

Mon Jan 30 17:38:14 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
January 30, 2006

Ingvild Roald wrote:
> Hmm .. I wrote the equivalent question in Norwegian SL, and was
> told by
> deaf signers that actually, for this this particular question, the
> eyebrows up is better, because it looks more friendly.  So I guess
> things
> differ a bit among language communities?? Ingvild

Hello Ingvild and Adam!
Thanks for your messages on grammar. I believe that facial
expressions, related to grammar, are different in different signed
languages...so it is not surprising that there are differences in
Norwegian Sign Language compared to ASL...

But having said that, it also could be that the person who told you
this, Ingvild, had never written Norwegian Sign Language, and so had
not analyzed the possible nuances, depending on the structure of a
sentence...

In ASL, the eyebrows change depending on the situation...so grammar
writing rules have to be established when we are writing Sign-
Sentences...

These kind of standardizations will come when more people write
SignWriting sentences that are not dependent on word-glosses... when
people compose directly in the movements of signed languages, then
the grammar-writing improves...

So the future is great, because Steve is working on a new program for
that very purpose!

Ingvild, while I have you online...have you seen these seven pages of
lessons I posted this weekend?...

Lessons in Using SignPuddle with SignBank
http://www.SignBank.org/help

it is number 1 on that page...

Until I hear from someone, that they were able to follow these
lessons and open in Editor mode, I cannot continue with the
Lessons...so tell me when you have gotten that far...

Any feedback on the lessons is greatly appreciated!

Hugs -

Sutton at SignWriting.org

Tech support by voice or video...
Make an appointment by email ;-)