When are Sign Languages considered written languages?

Shane Gilchrist O hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 27 13:19:45 UTC 2006

Val,

there will be always people who wont accept the fact that ASL/NISL can
be written down - they will argue that it can be noted but it cannot
be used every-day.

Another reason why that happens is that signwriting isnt used in ASL
lessons (at least most of it) - Thierry from Belgium was saying that
he used that in his teaching - and he found that learners learn faster
and more effectively using that.

I must ask him if he can do a parallel research i.e. he teach LSFB
using SW to one class and another class without SW.

in the UK, the CACDP (www.cacdp.org.uk) is the main examining board
for BSL & ISL - if they even say "oh you need to teach sign writing",
England will enter the golden age of British signwriting - but until
then, we have to do it in bits and pieces.

Shane