Jack and Jill Title

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Mon Jul 10 18:37:28 UTC 2006

OK, I know that rotation and travelling rotation are different, but...
Take the sign for Christmas, for example.   is one of the ways it is
written in the Puddle.  But its really not just a simple rotation...  it's
arcing up and over as it rotates...  like this Can I create a curved
travelling rotation in SignText/SignMaker? (Did this one in Paint)   Same
idea with TITLE/QUOTE...  only the arcing movement is much smaller than in
Christmas.  I always saw the straight line in the rotation arrows as
representing the forearm, so I always tried to place it close to where the
forearm would go...  Thats how my little brain made sense of the direction
of rotation.  If the forearm attaches to the handshape like this... then I
could SEE the rotation.  It made sense to me.  ::grin::

how is        different from  ?     one has the forearm vertical, the
other is horizontal?

        and             are another set of examples...  I don't have to
write the rotation, even if it rotates, as long as I write the beginning
and ending positions?

Hmmm.. Obviously I have some confusion on the issue of rotations...

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Valerie Sutton" <sutton at signwriting.org>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
07/10/2006 01:51 PM
Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [sw-l] Jack and Jill Title

CWren at doe.k12.ga.us wrote:
>  I wrote it the way I did because the hands move slightly out and down
as
> the forearms rotate...  Your two versions make it look, to me, like the
> hands move inward, ending up closer together than they started...

Hi Cherie -
No ...nothing is moving down or side with the Rotation Arrows you
chose...if you want to move down, then that is a different movement
arrow...

To explain...The Rotation Arrows do not show any traveling. They mean
"in one place", so even though they may look like they travel, they do
not. The spoke or line through  the arrow means your forearm...the
forearm stays in one place while the  rotation occurs around it, like an
axis...the forearm is the axis or center of the rotation...

Meanwhile, the beginning position, no matter whether it travels or stays
  in one place, must be at the beginning of the arrow, and the ending
position must be at the end of the arrow...that is the logic behind
beginning and ending positions...both positions do not have to be
written as you know, but if you want them to actually move down
diagonally then I can see why you wrote both positions...

We can discuss other ways to write QUOTE too...

See attached...