USA SW Symposium in DC - when?

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Jul 11 04:22:24 UTC 2006

Hi Charles, Kim and Shane....
Shane didn't realize how his words sounded,
Charles....of course you work very hard all
day...and no one can run a Symposium alone...that
is for sure!

None of us have the time to devote to setting up a
Symposium in Washington DC right now, because we
are all working. In only three weeks, most
teachers in the US are going back to teaching the
new school year. Vacations are already filled with
schedules. So it has to be in a year or two...

I think it is a great idea for the future though.

Regarding the List, there are only around 20
people on the SW List from the US right now...all
other 150 members or so, are from other
countries...so the SW List is not really the place
to find Americans to participate in the
Symposium...it is too international .... it is
expensive for people outside the US to travel to
the US...and they have trouble getting visas to
come here too.

So I would suggest that we could contact some
people at Gallaudet who might find it interesting
to host such an event in summer 2007 or 2008...

I can ask some friends if they know of anyone at
Gallaudet to speak with, about that...

Thanks for the stimulation, Charles, and
meanwhile, I will be sending Kim some free DVDs to
give out to people interested, and I can send you
some too, if you wish...That is a good way to
start a conversation about SignWriting...is to
hand them a free DVD in ASL!

Write to me privately with your street address and
I will send you some DVDs too, while I am sending
Kim some anyway...

I hope you get the chance to meet each
other...that will be really great!

Val ;-)