SignWriting in Unicode

Sara Morrissey smorri at COMPUTING.DCU.IE
Fri Jun 2 10:28:22 UTC 2006

Thanks Val and Stuart for your (comprehensive as ever) responses!

I was unaware of a SWML and duly look forward to looking into it with a view
to its usability with the kind of translation I'm researching. Thank you for
the update on the developments of SignWriting in Unicode as well, I'll be
checking out the links you sent and hopefully I'll glean some useful
information from them. I'll be in touch as my research progresses :)

Thanks again,
Namaste,
Sara

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu]On Behalf Of Valerie Sutton
  Sent: 01 June 2006 20:29
  To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
  Cc: dwanders at berkeley.edu; Michael Everson; Patrice Dalle;
lrec at externe.net; Albert Bickford; Steven Aerts; Bart Braem; machado
  Subject: [sw-l] SignWriting in Unicode

  SignWriting List
  June 1, 2006

  Sara Morrissey wrote:
    There was a mention on the list a while ago about SignWriting being
coded in
    Unicode (see below for original mailing). I was wondering if anyone
knows of
    any further developments on this? I'd be interested to know as I could
    potentially use a Unicode version in the data-oriented SL translation
work
    I'm researching and would be interested in comparing it to the annotated
    data I'm currently using.

  Hello Sara and SW List members!

  First, regarding Unicode...

  Thank you for your question. Certainly it is hoped that someday
SignWriting will be in Unicode.

  1. DUBLIN...Unicode expert, Michael Everson, has already focused some time
on the issue of SW in Unicode...

  Everson Typography
  http://www.evertype.com/
  http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/unicode/

  ------

  2. USA & UK...Members of the Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL), have
focused on this issue over several years...

  SIL
  http://www.ethnologue.com/

  And then Deborah Anderson, from the University of California at Berkeley
(see below) expressed interest recently...

  ------

  3. FRANCE...A Unicode-related research project has been ongoing for
several years:

  Research by Patrice Dalle and Guylhem Aznar
  http://signwriting.org/forums/software/lisbon/lisbon09.html

  -----

  4. SVG SYMBOLS...SVG or TrueType symbols are needed for Unicode
development...thanks to Steven Aerts and Bart Braem in Belgium, and most
recently from Machado in Brazil, we now have most of the symbols in
SVG...Machado's symbols are very beautiful with a calligraphy style to them
that is really unique...thank you for developing these SVG symbols!

  SignWriting Symbols in SVG
  http://www.movementwriting.org/symbolbank/IMWA-Downloads.html

  ------

  Second, regarding searching documents written in SignWriting, it is not
just Unicode that can be the answer. For example, right now, with SWML, we
can search in SignPuddle for all the signs that use certain symbols, or
combinations of symbols, or symbol frequency. And in SignBank, without SWML,
we have also achieved sophisticated searches within FileMaker databases
simply by specialized programming...so perhaps your work, Sara, can go
forward anyway, even though Unicode is not developed yet...

  SWML was originally developed by Dr. Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa in
Brazil:

  SWML
  http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/swml/swml01.html

  and is now used in SignPuddle and SignText for searching and other
wonderful features...developed by Stephen Slevinski

  SignPuddle-SignText
  http://www.SignPuddle.org

  Want to try a search right now? Give us an example of what you want to
search and let us discuss how we could facilitate your project
immediately...

  Val ;-)

  ---------------

  Sara Morrissey wrote:
    There was a mention on the list a while ago about SignWriting being
coded in
    Unicode (see below for original mailing). I was wondering if anyone
knows of
    any further developments on this? I'd be interested to know as I could
    potentially use a Unicode version in the data-oriented SL translation
work
    I'm researching and would be interested in comparing it to the annotated
    data I'm currently using.

    Many thanks,
    Namaste,
    Sara
    *

    -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
    Sara Morrissey,
    PhD researcher,
    National Centre for Language Technology (NCLT),
    School of Computing,
    Dublin City University,
    Glasnevin,
    Dublin 9,