Young children learning SignWriting?

Thu Jun 15 16:22:39 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
June 15, 2006

Shane Gilchrist O hEorpa wrote:
> news from our side in Belfast.
>
> We had our first Education Subcommittee yesterday and we have started
> to plan the Playgroup - we were discussing how SW can be introduced -
> we don't know if SW can be taught to younger kids say aged 3?
> Which age shall SW be introduced to kids then?

Hi Shane!
My experience has been that any age is fine! Reading and writing is
good for people whether they be age 3 or age 83...smile...

In Albuquerque, New Mexico, I know of a child age 5 that was
introduced to SignWriting and she could read it quickly...teacher Dr.
Cecilia Flood...I can find that documentation if you wish...

Stefan...what age are they learning in Germany?

Juliette...what age are they learning in France?

Kathleen or Thierry...what age in Belgium?

James...what age in Nicaragua?