I need an arrow

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Wed Jun 21 18:39:51 UTC 2006

Strange! I loaded one of Cherie's versions into SignMaker to adapt it
to an alternative I thought of and when it saved, it overwrote Cherie's
mainstream_2. I was intending mainstream_6 and though it would
automatically write it in as #6 when I saved it as mainstream. I'm not
sure why it didn't. (Sorry, Cherie!)

No problem...  Too many mainstream kids anyway...  (joke)

Anyway, I wanted to suggest this alternative in the spelling like in
the attached image. This keeps the handshapes apart. With the ending
position, I don't know if we need athe twist on the arrow since the
change in handshape already indicates that. Also, I think the surface
symbol is useful here to show both hands, but you still know they are
on top of each other. Finally, I sense more of a ending rub than an
ending touch, so I replaced the touch with a rub.  What do you think? I
thought this might help to keep the emphasis of the individual within a
group that the sign is clearly emphasizing.

As to the rub--  I've seen it signed two ways:  one, the hands contact
early in the 'merge' and they 'rub' into final position:  and two, the
hands stay separate till the final position, when contact is made.  I tend
to sign it more the second way, you must sign it more the first way.
::smile::  So, they're both right?

As to the surface symbol--  I asked about that one a long time ago, in
regards to the sign "English," which I couldn't make sense of in something
I was reading, because the handshapes were on top of each other.  At that
time, I was told that the surface symbol was pretty much used only in
research, not in everyday writing.  So I have avoided it ever since.  You
are confusing me now...  ::holds head and whines::

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.