handshape construction

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Jun 22 18:30:28 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
June 22, 2006

The Rootshape is the base. The square for the Fist, means that at
least one finger is touching the palm of the hand. So a handshape
that has no fingers touching the palm of the hand is not written with
a square Rootshape.

The lowest finger determines the shape of the Rootshape. In this
case, it is the Claw.

The Action Fingers, in your handshape, seem to be the Index and
Thumb. Therefore, in the IMWA you will find similar handshapes under
the Handshape 9 Group, for Index and Thumb Action Fingers.

The handshape groups are named by their Action Fingers.

I think you are right that we need a new handshape added to the IMWA
in Group 9, that looks more like the fingers you have on your shape.
They will be placed on a Claw Rootshape. In July I will add it to the
IMWA...I will attach a diagram now...let us hope it posts to the List...

Thanks for your question!!

I look forward to working with you, Stefan and Eyasu and everyone, in
July after the NAD....Your work is important to all of us, because it
helps us learn about needed handshapes, that most likely are used in
other signed languages as well...

Many blessings - Val ;-)