AW: [sw-l] handshape construction

Thu Jun 22 18:29:13 UTC 2006

Hello Valerie,

thank you so much for your quick reply.

I studied your wonderful Manual!  Great job!

I am afraid that I have difficulty to understand the term "LOWEST" finger in
the handshape - What is the "Lowest" finger - I guess it is the pinky - but
and in that case I would vote for the flat hand as the Rootshape - but you
talk about the claw?? I am sorry ... that I cannot follow.

In order to make sure what I am talking about I asked my son Gordian to take
a photo of this handshape I am trying to construct. (Well - I cannot spread
my thumb right-angled -as I should - I am sorry smile)

I can wait for your answer - take your time

L.I.F.E.

Stefan ;-)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] Im Auftrag von Valerie Sutton
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 22. Juni 2006 19:10
An: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Betreff: Re: [sw-l] handshape construction

SignWriting List
June 22, 2006

Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:

> I found a new handshape - it is needed to sign "Namibia" as it is
> performed in Namibia
>
> flat hand down - thumb aside and index bent like in "x"
>
> My question
>
> Did I follow the rules if I construct it this way - (see attachment)

Hello Stefan!
Thank you for this question, and thank you for your fine work with
Ethiopian handshapes!!

Regarding handshape construction rules...

Download this Manual:

IMWA Reference Manual 2004
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0144-SSS-Manual-2004.pdf

On page 72, in the chapter:
Handshape Construction and Sequencing Guidelines...

It explains the Handshape construction rule that the LOWEST finger
determines the Rootshape...So what is the lowest finger of the
handshape you want to write? The lowest finger is the bent one, and
that lowest finger is in the shape of a CLAW...so the Rootshape is
the CLAW, not the square for the fist...continued next message...