SW at Gallaudet, and the NAD Conference ;-)

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Jun 26 00:31:51 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
June 25, 2006

On Jun 25, 2006, at 1:32 PM, Kimberley A. Shaw wrote:
> ooh, who are these Gallaudet SW users?
> I'm going to be on campus during the last week of July and the 1st
> week of
> August, and would love to meet them! Also, I will be bringing
> copies of my
> just-finished ASL anthology for the bookstore there ...
> Best,
> Kim from Boston

Hello Kim and Everyone!
That's great about your ASL anthology, Kim. I look forward to seeing
it ;-)

When I get back from the NAD conference I will try to find those
contacts for you at Gallaudet, but there are lots of people who use
SignPuddle everyday...and you would be surprised to know that
individuals use SignWriting all the time...and some are at
Gallaudet...smile!

So if you are brave, you can just mention it to people. Some will be
surprised by it, and others will tell you that have used it for years
on the web...it is just a matter of luck who you bump into! That is a
good sign that slowly and silently, writing is starting...

And the more you mention it, the more it will spread...

I just heard that today it was 111 degrees Fahrenheit in Palm Desert,
where the NAD Conference will be held...that is 44 degrees Celcius! A
tad warm...smile...Adam Frost and my family will be driving to the
desert on Thursday and the big night for us is Thursday, when they
open the Exhibit Hall for a sneak peak at 9:00pm...after the opening
ceremonies...

I will leave most ASL conversation to Adam, who can just point to me
in the back if someone wants to talk to me! Thank you, Adam, for
helping me so much!

I am printing the literature for our exhibit booth, one brochure at a
time myself...

On our table we will have:

1. Deaf Perspective on SW DVDs for those who get there first
2. SignPuddle 1.0 flyers
3. Deaf Perspectives on SignWriting flyer by Lucinda O'Grady Batch
4. and a new little ...What is SignWriting flyer...which I will share
with you shortly...

and then posters that teach the symbols, and a poster telling
everyone about Stuart and Philip's workshop on Sunday July 2nd...

My parents are all excited and looking forward to driving to the
desert. The three of us are partners in our little non-profit
organization, and I am so glad my folks have a chance to see
SignWriting being used by the Deaf Community...they do not sign, but
they have supported SignWriting in other ways all these years...with
financial and moral support, which means so much...I just got a small
outside grant to help pay for some of the NAD conference costs, so
that is cool...

Kim - have you seen the ASL notepads? They are designed in Iowa....I
LOVE them!

ASL Notepads
http://www.SignWriting.org/deaf

Proceeds go to help the Deaf-owned non-profit that uses SignWriting
in Iowa...Pass-It-On-Services...I have a friend who is writing the
Bible in ASL in SignWriting, and she tells me she just ordered
some...I plan to too, after the NAD Conference...