Charles....Sorting Dictionaries ;-)

Fri Mar 24 16:03:11 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
March 24, 2006

Oh, I couldn't agree more! I too dislike the terminology of GLOSS or
LABEL or even WORD as you say...that is why I like the design in
SignPuddle 1.0, when the visitor first enters the Search area, there
is no terminology to confuse the issue...

So I vote for as little terminology as possible, also because it is a
huge job to translate all the headers into other spoken languages,
like Italian, French, German...I went through this with SignBank...I
translated most of the headers and icons into 15 different spoken
languages, including Japanese and Arabic...the SW List was a great
help with those translations...but even when they supplied the
translations for me, I had to re-do the headers and icons in SignBank
15 times and it was literally months of work to get it done.

Try to imagine translating the term GLOSS or LABEL into 15 spoken
languages...smile...when maybe no terminology would work just as well...

Other bi-lingual dictionaries just list one language in the left
column and the second language in the right column...no need for any
headers for those columns because it is clear what each column is...

Whatever you guys choose, it will work I am sure...

Smile..

The world is a wonderful and magical place, isn't it? We have so many
opportunities because of computers!

Val ;-)