Workshop on Linguistics - Florianopolis Brazil

Wed Mar 1 05:02:45 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
February 28, 2006

Charles Butler wrote:
> Speaking of conferences, is there not still a conference in
> Florianopolis Brazil in December.  I have sent messages to their
> query box and gotten nothing back from Ronice Quadros.

Hello Charles and Everyone!
Here is the information that I have...

Theoretical Issues in Sign Language Research 9
Florianópolis, SC, BRAZIL - December 06 to 09, 2006
Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina

Call for papers

The TISLR 9 has as a goal to have the participation of researchers from
different areas of the Linguistics. The individual talks are of 30
minutes
plus 10 minutes for discussion. Moreover, it will be accepted
submissions of
posters. It will be welcome papers from different areas such as
Phonology,
Morphology, Syntax, Semantics, Pragmatics, Psycholinguistic,
Neurolinguistics and Sociolinguistic with different theoretical
framework.

The abstracts will be submitted to the scientific committee  in
accord to
the linguistic area and theoretical framework signed.
The original abstract should be sent by e-mail as a Word, RTF or PDF
file
attachment to tislr9 at projectaeventos.com.br
The abstract should be written in English. It is important that the
abstract
accurately state the problem, methods and results of the
investigation. Only
in the e-mail message you have to indicate your name, and to omit the
name
from the abstract. It should be no more than two pages in length using
single spaced text and a font no smaller than 12 point. In the e-mail
message you may indicate your preference regarding poster or short/long
lecture presentation, although the final decision will be taken by the
programme committee. It is important that the abstract presents the
problem,
the methods and the results of the research.
Submissions are limited to one individual and one joint abstract per
author
(or alternatively, to two joint abstracts).
The deadline for the receipt of the electronic submission is November
30,
2005. Authors will be notified of acceptance and type of presentation
before
the end of March 2006.
Authors of accepted papers will be asked to submit a written
manuscript for
interpreting purposes by the end of July 2006. A selection of the papers
presented at the conference will be published after the standard
reviewing
procedure.

SLLS-visitors will be able to see the date and time on the web
site: http://www.let.ru.nl/sign-lang/SLLS/
Best wishes,

Ronice Müller de Quadros
Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
CED/EED/Nucleind
www.ronice.ced.ufsc.br

---------------------------

Presentation:

The TISLR is the world's most important international congress for sign
language studies. The eight previous editions of the congress attracted
researchers who work in various sign languages that have different and
similar linguistic typologies. The studies encompass various areas of
linguistics from formal to applied studies. The congresses have
exhibited a significant development of studies of an increasing number
of sign languages. This growth in research, shared and published through
the editions of TISLR, gives visibility to sign languages from countries
such as Brazil and creates opportunities for comparative analysis. It
has thus become an event that goes beyond borders. The TISLR is a space
for socialization of studies about the world's different sign languages
that seeks explanations for linguistic facts considering the
visual-spatial modality that is specific to these languages. For the
first time, the event will be held outside of the United States and
Europe and will include the participation of researchers from throughout
the world, and in particular, Brazilian researchers who have been
studying Brazilian sign language to make this a special edition of the
TISLR.

The theme of the 9th edition of TISLR is the development of sign
language studies from the 1960's until today with a look at lines of
research for the future. The congress title is: Sign Languages: spinning
and unraveling the past, present and future. There will be presentations
from the scholars who conducted the first sign language studies, as well
as researchers who are indicating new directions for study. Giving
continuity to previous editions, interlinguistic studies will be on the
agenda, because they contribute to a delineation of the linguistic
universals of the visual-spatial modality in relation to the
oral-auditory modality.

Link: http://www.tislr9.ufsc.br/presentation.htm

--------------------------

Hello Valerie,

I am waiting for answer of TISLR Organizing Committee. Perhapps Fernando
Capovilla can talk about becouse he is member of Scientif Committee. I
guess you should be there to presenting and to represent DAC and
SignWriting importance to all sign languages. What you thing about ?

If this event is open only to Researches, I not know how can I
presenting to this group, I am not living or felling the Academic World,
acctually my World is Deaf groups or Singers of Sign Language. But if is
open another public of signers I will be there.

See: http://www.tislr9.ufsc.br/call.htm

Best regards,

Sergio Ribeiro