punctuation question

Juliette Dalle july.tigre at FREE.FR
Tue Mar 14 20:30:36 UTC 2006

Hello Kathleen

Interesting.. To Toulouse, we don't use yet the punctuation. The
children don't write yet any sequences. We ask them to write some
isoled signs. But they read some texts without punctuations because of
short story or poem which doesn' need of punctuation. It is for later.
However, I would like to know it if you will find a solution.

take care

Juliette

Le mardi, 14 mars 2006, à 18:46 Europe/Paris, Kasterlinden Bilinguaal a
écrit :

> Hello everyone,
>
> Today I was teaching one of my students about 'sentences' and the
> difference between a question and an answer.
>
> I saw the student made the mistake frequently between the punctuation
> and the signs themselves. I asked him where the end of the sentence
> was, he knew where it was. When I asked him what this symbol means:
> (the first one)

<image.tiff>

> he said it was the chest. Like in the sign man.
>
> Maybe it's a question of time to learn this difference, but I think
> it's interessting to let you all know how children learn SignWriting,
> and which mistakes they make.
> Maybe other teachers see this too?
>
> I find the children have difficulties with the SignWriting punctuation.
>
> Greetings Kathleen
>
> ps: I put the students exercises in this mail, so you can see how we
> work with SW in the classroom ;)

<image.tiff>

> From:  eghoffma at UMICH.EDU
> To:  sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
> Subject:  Re: [sw-l] punctuation question
> Date:  Thu, 09 Mar 2006 17:33:48 -0500
> >Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think the idea of leaving space
> >in between lines to indicate time will work best for my purposes.
> >All the best,
> >Erika
> >
> >Quoting Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org>:
> >
> >>SignWriting List
> >>March 9, 2006

> >>Here is some information about Time...the amount of space between
> >>two  lines is showing the amount of Time...so a single Hyphen might
> >>be  best in your case above, or possibly parentheses, which are
> >>used in  spoken languages to discuss an afterthought...

<image.tiff>