Number of publications with SignWriting?

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat May 20 03:09:35 UTC 2006

I'm throwing this to the Web.

  Are there any of you interpreters/sign writers who would be willing to help publish a novel in SignWriting.  This is an original novel in English on Salome, the stepdaughter of Herod Antipas, who danced for the head of John the Baptist (recorded in the Chrisitan Bible and Josephus Histories).

  It would certainly be a challenge to linguistic and transcription skills.

  Contact me offline at chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com

  Here is a sample page of the Novel.

  "I am old and the breeze of the sea creeps into my bones.  Three-quarters of a century separates me from my childhood.  An Arabian horse tosses its head with a jangle of bells and I think back to a time when my hands were covered with jewels and my hips swaggered when I walked.  I burst into tears, and my husband’s hands are no comfort to me.
  That first lifetime, I was the toast of the court, the envy of my mother as my stepfather vied for my affections. But now I am a matron of many years, far older than any ever expected me to survive. All of my companions are now dead, and I sit in my villa and count the stones in the mosaic floors to pass the time.
  The breeze of the sea gathers the scent of the orange trees in bloom.  These trees were planted as a wedding gift from the Emperor, and now after more than 45 years they are as gnarled as I. My servants gather the fruit every year for wine, and I sip it even now as the sun sets red behind the mists. It has been a day with time for melancholy without bitterness, and the wine clouds the current thoughts and brings my childhood to me, and the savor of court." (c) 1996-2006 Charles R. Butler, III.

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
  SignWriting List
May 19, 2006

SW List Members -
Deborah Anderson asked me to post this message to the SignWriting
List (see below). This question is in relation to placing SignWriting
in Unicode. Deborah is attending a meeting of the Unicode Technical
Committee all this week, and they need to know how many publications,
(or how many pages in documents), have been written in
SignWriting?...I told Deborah well over 1000 documents at least, if
not more, plus the number of pages will be in the multiple thousands...

For example, just the Parkhurst Mystery Novel alone, written in
Spanish Sign Language from Madrid, is 140 pages of pure
SignWriting...in a perfect bound book..that is only one of many...

Deborah - You can read about that Novel written in SignWriting on
this web page:

SignWriting in Spain
http://www.SignWriting.org/spain

Val ;-)