Order of writing

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Nov 21 16:30:15 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
November 21, 2006

> Jason Hopkins wrote:
>>  I tend to follow this order:
>>
>> Head, Face
>> Shoulders
>> Hand shape, Orientation
>> Movement Direction, Arrow Choice

Hello Jason and everyone -
Interesting topic. Thanks for bringing it up!

Your sequence of writing listed below is very close to my natural
order of writing too...There is history behind this that might be
interesting to you...The reason it is natural to think of the Head
and Face first, is threefold...First, facial expressions are
powerfully important to all signed languages...second...there is
oftentimes contact with the head and face and writing the location
where the contact will occur provides a natural center to the
sign...and third, the Head and Face are at the top of the body, and
writing down in vertical columns is more natural to writing signed
languages, because our bodies are vertical...so starting at the top
of the body, and writing down is what you are doing naturally, and I
believe that is the natural flow of writing...

some reasons why people write top to bottom...
1. facial expressions are important
2. the face establishes the center of the sign
3. writing from top to bottom flows naturally with our vertical bodies

There is another related history about this fact, in relation to the
Sign-Symbol-Sequence, the IMWA. The symbols are placed in 8
Categories as you know:

1 Hand
2 Movement
3 Face
4 Head
5 Upper-Body
6 Full-Body
7 Space
8 Time & Punctuation

Although these categories determine how dictionaries are sorted by
Sign-Symbol-Sequence, and technically have nothing to do with which
order you personally choose to write in, there is still a connection
to what might be taught someday in schools....

Originally, back when I was first developing the Sign-Symbol-
Sequence, I had planned on using this Sequence:

Head
Face
Upper-Body
Hand
Movement
Time

This means that you would not be looking signs up by handshapes in
dictionaries! You would be looking up by Facial Expressions...and
because signers wanted to look-up by handshapes, I changed the
sequence to what we have today...

So this means that the writing-sequence you are talking about, is not
completely in coordination with the way we look-up signs by Sign-
Symbol-Sequence...

This means that writing SignWriting is different than writing spoken
languages with the Roman alphabet...because when we write English
words, we are writing in the sequence of the look-up order...but in
SignWriting, we would have to write starting with handshapes to write
in the look-up order...

But it feels better, as you say, to start with the Face and Head...so
I understand!!

So I have been experimenting lately, just to see if I could write in
the look-up order of the Sign-Symbol-Sequence by writing the
handshapes first and then writing the rest of the sign... sometimes I
can do it well, and other times it does not feel natural, but I am
still experimenting to see if it could be taught to write starting
with handshapes...I suspect we need to leave that to the individual
writer!

Val ;-)

---------