Report from Vals Desk ;-)

Mon Nov 6 16:13:50 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
November 6, 2006

Dear SW List Members!
So many wonderful things are happening here, behind the scenes, for
SignWriting documents!

1. With the current version of SignText, I have become creative, and
found wonderful techniques that make it possible to use the new
SignText Mail program, with columns, to create beautiful PDFs, giving
us spoken language translations in the comments at the bottom of each
PDF. I will be writing this as a new chapter in SignText Manual when
I can...Thank you, Stefan, for pointing out to me that the SignText
Mail program is helpful for re-formatting documents!

2. Cherie....I am working on preparing Cat-In-The-Hat using this new
document creation technique (mentioned above). THANK YOU for your
hard work on this long translation. Your work to date gives us a long
document to work with, to learn from, both for research, and also for
writing manuals and helping others prepare longer documents in the
future. What am I doing today? I am finding all of your sentences
from Cat-In-The-Hat, and reloading them into SignText, and then
sending them to myself through SignText email. I am setting my email
up to the number 800 in the columns area. This gives us a Portrait
page size (columns are longer). The English words appear at the
bottom in the comments section of the email. I then print the email
to PDF using the Mac Print-To-PDF feature, reducing it to 85%. This
gives me a perfect portrait page in PDF with the English at the
bottom. Then I open Acrobat Professional program, and put all the
PDFs together, and we have a real document with the English
translation at the bottom of each page. While I am doing this job, I
am making a note of some signs I would write differently and it will
be interesting to compare notes and make a final decision how to
write some of those unusual signs...I believe one of them has a head
rotation that you need a symbol for, etc? so all that is important to
discuss too...

3. Guylhem....I know you need the sentences in SignText, which will
give you SWML, for your software research project in France. Are you
ready to receive the documents through your private email? I will
send them to you, one by one, through SignText email, and then you
click on the link at the bottom of the email that says: Load Message
Into SignText....It loads the SignWriting back into your Firefox web
browser (be sure to use Firefox)...then you click on the Options
Button, and Bookmark each document (that is the way we save the
documents...bookmark them in Firefox)...from there you can click on
the SWML button to get the SWML of any bookmarked sentence...

We have a SignText Manual in French, English, Norwegian and soon
German...go to this web page to download the manual:

SignPuddle Help Files
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/help

So it is a busy time, and wonderful too....

I hope all of you are happy and doing well...ask questions to the
List anytime...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignBank
Create Sign Language Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

3. SignPuddle
Create Sign Language Dictionaries
http://www.SignPuddle.org

4. SignText
Create Sign Language Documents
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/signtext

5. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

6. DanceWriting
Read & Write Dance Movement
http://www.DanceWriting.org

7. MovementWriting