UK Deaf leader argues for video technology

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Oct 21 05:16:03 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
October 20, 2006

Stuart Thiessen wrote:

> We are working on it! :)  We have talked with the Superintendent.
> We also had the President-to-be from Gally come for the Iowa
> Association of the Deaf's 125th Anniversary Banquet. We also talked
> with her about SignWriting. So we are pushing it everywhere we
> can. :) We also tried to convince our local public school Deaf
> Program to consider it.

Wonderful!!

> The challenge is that it is "one more program" in the midst of many
> programs that are competing for their attention. I would like to
> team up with the Alberquerque people and Cheri and others who I may
> not know about to see if together we can create a presentation that
> can be used by SW advocates to help convince public school
> administrators, educators, etc. to be aware of SW and its benefits.
> But like many ideas, we just need to achieve some critical mass
> before it can happen. But I'm offering the idea :).

I think that is a great idea!

Such a presentation could arranged in 2007...maybe Spring 2007 one
presentation could be arranged at a school for the Deaf, and if it
goes well, others can be scheduled, perhaps at MSSD at Gallaudet...we
could setup a presentation of teachers and Deaf educators who present
to different schools...it would be fun and create some productive
dialogue...