UK Deaf leader argues for video technology

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Oct 21 15:04:34 UTC 2006

I think that with the Linguistics conference in Brazil this December you may also be getting some critical information.  The classes coming from Brazilian sign language linguistics studies will ALL incorporate SW in the presentations and the conference is co-sponsored by Gallaudet University, so this will be a scholarly exposure that is rare.

  charles butler

Valerie Sutton <signwriting at MAC.COM> wrote:
  SignWriting List
October 20, 2006

Stuart Thiessen wrote:

> We are working on it! :) We have talked with the Superintendent.
> We also had the President-to-be from Gally come for the Iowa
> Association of the Deaf's 125th Anniversary Banquet. We also talked
> with her about SignWriting. So we are pushing it everywhere we
> can. :) We also tried to convince our local public school Deaf
> Program to consider it.

Wonderful!!

> The challenge is that it is "one more program" in the midst of many
> programs that are competing for their attention. I would like to
> team up with the Alberquerque people and Cheri and others who I may
> not know about to see if together we can create a presentation that
> can be used by SW advocates to help convince public school
> administrators, educators, etc. to be aware of SW and its benefits.
> But like many ideas, we just need to achieve some critical mass
> before it can happen. But I'm offering the idea :).

I think that is a great idea!

Such a presentation could arranged in 2007...maybe Spring 2007 one
presentation could be arranged at a school for the Deaf, and if it
goes well, others can be scheduled, perhaps at MSSD at Gallaudet...we
could setup a presentation of teachers and Deaf educators who present
to different schools...it would be fun and create some productive
dialogue...