SW curriculum

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Oct 7 04:16:31 UTC 2006

Part of the problem with trying to make comparisons between spoken vocabulary and sign language symbols is that signs that are early to learn in SW, like "milk" or "finish" are rather complicated to write, but they are some of the earliest signs to learn.  Kids learn as they go, no matter how complex.

  Just my observation,

  Charles Butler

"James Shepard-Kegl, Esq." <kegl at MAINE.RR.COM> wrote:
  Andree,

Your request reminds me of the fable of the cat and the mice.  As you may recall, the mice lived inside the walls of a house where there was ample food routinely left on the dining room table.  The problem was that a cat also resided in the home.  Hence, the mice were afraid to raid the dining room lest the cat sneak up on  them.  The mice held a meeting to discuss their dilemma and one thoughtful mouse proposed putting a bell on the cat.  The other agreed this was a great idea, and all felt the mouse who proposed it should undertake the responsibility of implementing the concept.

When we were teaching SignWriting in Nicaragua back when  our organization operated the school in Bluefields, we thought having a body of literature for children would be a great idea -- so we produced the stories ourselves.  We are still doing that, and, yes, it is very time consuming, especially as we are all volunteers.

I don't think you have to worry so much about the age of the readers.  The bigger issue is the signing ability of the individual student.  A native signer will develop sign language literacy skills very quickly.  A non-signer, in my opinion, needs to develop fluency first.  Then, the student can learn to read SignWriting quickly -- at least at a level that will enable that student to use his or her SignWriting skills as a bridge to literacy in a sound based language (such as English or French.)  And, where will you find a textbook in English for a Deaf reader who understands SignWriting?  That, too, would be a great idea -- worthy of a grant, I should think.  We made them for Spanish -- success, by the way, depended upon the motivation of the teacher.

-- James Shepard-Kegl
Nicaraguan Sign Language Projects, Inc.