SW curriculum

Barbara O'Dea odeab at UNM.EDU
Sat Oct 7 05:08:50 UTC 2006

Andree,

For clarification, would you mind responding to a couple of questions?

1. I know that ASL is used throughout Canada and both ASL and LSQ are
used in Quebec. Would you tell us what QSL is and where it is used?
Also, approximately what proportion of the Canadian Deaf community uses
this language?

2. I am curious as to why you are proposing to introduce written QSL as
a "first language" curriculum in the province of Ontario. What are you
expecting to do with ASL, the existing predominant language of the Deaf
community there?

3. You mentioned the Deaf school in Ottawa. Does the Deaf community in
Ottawa use QSL?

I don't want to jump to conclusions and I''m sure I must have
misunderstood something in your description because what I understand
(or misunderstand) is akin to a group of educators in the hearing school
system deciding the English-speaking community in Ontario should no
longer use English and the students should be educated in some other
language which is not generally used in the community, developing a
curriculum for that language, and proposing it to the Ontario government.

I must be missing something and I sure would appreciate if you would
give a further clarification of what you are proposing.

odeeodee