SW curriculum

Barbara O'Dea odeab at UNM.EDU
Sat Oct 7 06:32:51 UTC 2006

I expect the symbols in SignWriting are not analogous to symbols for
spoken words, especially in cases like the one for French morphemes
like  -aux with its 3 letters that represent only one sound [o].
Children will learn the letter-sound distribution before they learn
combinations of letters that will make up one sound or other unusual
effects observed in written languages.

Has there been research about the processing of SignWriting symbols? I
know brain injury research has illustrated that characters of written
Chinese are not processed in the same way as the sounds/letters of an
alphabetic system such as English or French. SignWriting symbols are
more phonetic than Chinese characters I expect (I'm not sure phonetic is
the correct word to use here); but they may also be less abstract than
alphabetic systems.

Lots of research to be done for sure.

odeeodee