Fingers Opening and Closing...Hinge Rotations

Sutton Valerie sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Mon Sep 25 21:58:31 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
September 25, 2006

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
> is it OK to say that this symbol indicates the way the hand-finger
> joint moves (can be closing or opening.... just depends where it's
> written....)

Hi Anny and Everyone!

Yes...that sounds good.

The Hinge Motion is definitely like a door opening or closing. Think
of the Knuckle Joints like the hinge on a door. The fingers
themselves, like the door itself, remain straight and solid, but the
hinge on the door opens and closes the fingers. Like the sign for
Goodbye...the fingers hinge open and close several times...

The difference in Sign Languages is that sometimes the whole hand can
be on a diagonal, or facing side...in other words...a door is always
straight up and down to begin with, but hands can be directed in many
different directions. So sometimes the opening and closing can be
directed toward the corner of the room, if the hands are directed
toward the corner of the room to begin with...

So we have 8 possible rotations of the Hinge Motion Symbols...see
attached...