Sleeping Beauty Video 1-2

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Apr 23 01:20:19 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
April 22, 2007

K.J. Boal wrote:
> Well, you said if we're going to write only one position, it's
> better to write the end position than the beginning... and I like
> your way of writing "children"; I wouldn't have thought of that.

You are absolutely right...I did say that! ;-)

It is my fault for not being more detailed with my answer...

Writing the second position is best when we are writing Finger
Movements. That was what I was thinking, when we discussed that
before...But I should have realized when I said that, that there are
other circumstances...

1. Small Finger Movements Need the Ending Position
When finger movements are involved, there are two different
handshapes involved with the sign...a beginning position that is
different than the ending position (the result of the action)...so if
a position is taken away, we need to see the second position, or the
result of the action...

like ELEVEN or SLEEP

But then there are these two circumstances:

2. Always Write the Position of Contact
In a sign that has only one position of contact, the position of
contact is written, and then from there you write the movement
relating to the position...Although the position of contact is
oftentimes the second position, it isn't always...for example it is
the first position in the sign for GIRL, and SYMBOL