sw-l-digest V1 #2305

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Apr 29 14:38:33 UTC 2007

We may want to have the graphics clipped for each of the sign languages we represent.

Here is the graphic for Sign Language in Brazilian Sign Language (Libras).

 lingua-de-sinnais-1

And a few representative signs in that language.

conversando-em-sinais (conversation in sign language)

amizade
close friend, bosom buddy

GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote: Hoi,
Thanks for your reply. I have taken the picture of American Sign Language uploaded it and added it to the portal of American Sign Language on OmegaWiki.

I do agree that programs can be made to do anything, it just needs doing. I would love to see UNICODE for SignWriting. In the mean time we can work on getting programs like MediaWiki to accept SignWriting.. I think that would be awesome.

Thanks,
    GerardM

http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:ase

On 4/29/07, Charles Butler < chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com> wrote:One can write SW in a side to side fashion, but because it is movement, it is much more natural to read it up and down, and then left to right, much as Chinese newspapers.  Often two words have a hand moving from one sign into the next (just like elision in French or Portuguese) so having a top down is easier.  However, for bilingual translation, we have done texting in right to left in clusters, sort of like Korean, which is a script that creates blocks for each word which can be sounded out, but look to a non-Korean speaker, very similar to a Chinese character.  Any spoken language could be written down the page,

Surely, typography cannot be limited solely on layout.  Computers are as versatile as we program them to be.

WRITE       AMERICAN     SIGN        LANGUAGE

This is one of those rare sentences that can be put in one-to-one correspondence to English.  More often it is a multiple word translation.

Charles

GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com > wrote: Hoi,
I do appreciate this. When you  look at http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:nld the portal for the Dutch language, you will find Babel templates going from Native to a level 1 in Dutch.   http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:hye is for the Armenian language and, it is in the appropriate script.

For sign languages I cannot at present include the Babel text in SignWriting because of technical problems. It is for this reason that I ask you to create a text in another language. You would write the Babel templates for "aen" or Armenian Sign Language in Armenian because that is most appropriate given that OmegaWiki (and MediaWiki) do not support SignWriting at this moment in time.

Given that SignWriting is a top down written language, the question arises on how to include this in a Babel template that is currently very much horizontally oriented.

Thanks,
      GerardM

 On 4/29/07, Charles Butler < chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com> wrote: Dear Gerard,

The point of SignWriting is that English and ASL, Dutch and Netherlands Sign Language are not the same language.  One cannot say that this sentence is written in sign language.  The Roman alphabet writes spoken words, the SignWriting International Movement Writing Alphabet writes signs, different purposes.  How do we get the Wiki to support our script.

As well say that if you want to write English, write it in French because, after all, they are only 100 miles apart geographically.

GerardM <  gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote: Hoi,
Om the OmegaWiki website, we have portals for all languages recognised in the ISO-639-3. The information we provide for any languages is minimal. What we are looking for is information that will be helpful for people who for whatever reason are interested in a  particular language.

The portal for American Sign language is http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:ase  , for British Sign Language  http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:bfi . We also have a portal for SignWriter at   http://www.omegawiki.org/Portal:Sgnw

When you create yourself a user at OmegaWiki, please create yourself a Babel template. Sadly we do not support SignWriter yet as a script. You may want to add a text for your sign language in another language that is the most appropriate (ie a text in Dutch for the Dutch Sign Language).

If you have any questions .. please ask :)

Thanks,
    GerardM