Writing Number 16 in ASL

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Wed Aug 22 19:51:27 UTC 2007

Well, I wasn't meaning linguistic analysis of reading page numbers. I
was meaning that, for most unwritten languages, the process for
determining what symbols to use for writing is usually based on a
general linguistic analysis of the sounds (or in our case, the
handshapes and movements) used by the language. Linguists call it a
phonological analysis. That kind of analysis then helps us to
determine what symbols are needed and what symbols are not needed. We
can see what symbols we can predict because of how the sound or
movement or handshape occurs in context and what we can't predict. We
can see what sounds or movement or handshapes occur in exactly the
same places but is still understood as the same sound or movement or
handshape (like my example about the English letter 't').

Eventually, before ASL can be truly "standardized", this kind of
analysis is ideal because it will help us develop a good
standardization based on what ASL is really doing. The same kind of
process should be used in other sign languages to see what they would
use. The SignWriting system remains the same. It is the application
of the SignWriting system to the individual sign languages that I am
talking about. :)

Thanks,

Stuart