AW: [sw-l] Re: Sign Writing - translation button in SignPuddle

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 5 20:36:18 UTC 2007

Stefan,

You hit it right on the dot as to the reason others have mentioned the uneasiness of the name "Translation". It only changes word for word. Many translators will change the word order (if they are sofiticated). We aren't there yet, so I think a disclaimer might be good so that people can have "warning" to make it so they are less likely to assume it will change word order and choose correct grammar changes.

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Wöhrmann <stefanwoehrmann at gebaerdenschrift.de>

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 21:22:57
To:"'SignWriting List'" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Subject: AW: [sw-l] Re: Sign Writing - translation button in SignPuddle

Hi Steve, Stuart, André, Valerie ...

I do not have any problem with the "translate" function - I think it can be
used as a real translate service if the person knows what to do.

In case you are looking for the sign for "Antananarivo" this wonderful
fuction allows me to type the letters and I will get a sign -

If I want to write some ideas in SL I have to keep in mind the different
grammar and lots of possible variations  but can go ahead and type the word
order just as I feel what will be fine DGS. Afterwards I can choose between
several options if they are already part of the dictionary. In the end I may
want to brush upt the whole thing with some particulars in the signtext
function.  Another competent signer may correct me just typing the same
words in a different order ...

The better you know what to expect before the better this "translate"
function will support your idea to transfer a message from Spoken language
to Sign Language.

Even beginners get so much out of it if they only type a list of words  in
order to look at different options how to express the same idea in SL.

It is almost like any Automatically Translated Text for spoken languages -

i.m.h.o.

Stefan ;-)

L.I.F.E. .... hi Tini  - smile