General Arrowhead...Both hands move on same path...

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Feb 18 18:49:47 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
February 18, 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> Could you give us an example where this distinction would help us
> tell the difference between signs? I too thought it just meant that
> two hands moved the same while contacting. So for the sign
> CONTINUE, I would have thought that was written right. I guess I am
> trying to understand the benefit of the extra distinction? I
> thought it was helpful to eliminate the redundancy of two arrows
> when the movement information is the same...

The General Movement Arrowhead, which writes Overlapping Paths, was
not designed from a linguistic point of view, but from a movement
perspective. It provides visual information that is important. It
eliminates the need for the Surface Symbol in many cases, and
provides some exciting information when writing intertwining complex
movement paths in the mime-like and gesture-like features in ASL
storytelling. It is important that we keep this as a movement-
description, so that we have the tool for writing storytelling, mime,
gesture and so forth...

Now, there is no question that there are needs to write Parallel
Paths too...I realize that. Especially when it is associated with
some classifiers, I believe that such a distinction would be very
useful...so later, after I complete editing SignPuddle 1.5 and
finishing SignBank...I hope to think through with all of you, ways of
writing a Parallel Path that would help from the linguistic point of
view...

I do not consider writing Movement Paths visually, a redundant
thing...For me at least, I have seen too many instances where we need
to distinguish between right, left and both to want to throw it away
in SignWriting Printing.

In Handwriting however...that is another story! I rarely write right
and left for my own notes, but when I publish, I do...

So let us discuss this further later this Spring. I will now return
to working on SignPuddle 1.5 and SignBank 8.5, which we hope will be
ready for you all in early March...  Val ;-)