General Arrowhead...Both hands move on same path...

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Feb 18 19:15:02 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
February 18, 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> So for the sign CONTINUE, I would have thought that was written
> right. I guess I am trying to understand the benefit of the extra
> distinction? I thought it was helpful to eliminate the redundancy
> of two arrows when the movement information is the same. I have
> always been tempted by the idea of using the general arrow in every
> case where the movement is the exact same for both hands (parallel
> movement) because in those cases, it seemed unnecessary to write 2
> arrows when the movements are parallel and identical (like the ASL
> signs WAY, CONTINUE, YOUNG, GO-AHEAD, GO, etc.). Just trying to
> understand better. Comparison and contrast help me understand the
> "why". :)

See the attached diagram. The signs on the left-and-down, are the way
the DAC and I wrote the signs for CONTINUE all these years, with both
right and left arrows. And with your writing on the right, Stuart,
because you have a Contact Star of course we know what you mean. I
can see the sign for CONTINUE does have some contact and is so
close...but the signs for GO and WAY have separate movement
paths...they are not touching so they are Parallel Paths, and I want
to create something that would write that easily without us thinking
they are Overlapping Paths. You see, in some writing, the sign can
start with hands far apart and then move into an Overlapping Path
after the movement starts (during the movement)...later I will try to
show you some really cool examples from the writing of Danish
storytelling by Bente Sparrevohn in the 1980s...what a magnificent
document she created writing the nuances of storytelling...and Bente
wrote arrows that started right and left, then blended to become
overlapping and then split apart into separate right and left arrows
once again, without writing it as separate signs, because it wasn't a
separate sign, it was a descriptive sign of people walking and
bumping into each other and oh...one person walking in front of the
other and then separating...