SWML question from France

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Feb 18 15:12:06 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
February 18, 2007

jallali Abdelfatteh wrote:
> hello, I am Abdelfatteh, I am a research worker in the field of the
> languages of modelisation of the signes. I read a document pdf in
> quotes www.signwriting.org which interprete conversion since SWML
> towards the BAP video sequences of the signs coded into SWML.
> Information that I seek etant how determiner the movement when I
> find a symbol of mouvement.c' has to say ya is a rule has to apply
> when I find a symbol of movement for determiner the movement
> ettendu. jallaliabdelfatteh at yahoo.fr

------------

Hello Jallali!

I will be happy to help you with the rules of Movement Symbols and
what they mean in SignWriting. Write to me to ask questions about
specific arrows.

Meanwhile I found the paper that you are referring to...

It was a project in Greece, using SWML to animate a figure using Sign
Language. I do not know if that project continues or not.

Synthesis of Virtual Reality Animations from SWML
using MPEG-4 Body Animation Parameters

by Maria Papadogiorgaki,
Nikos Grammalidis,
Nikos Sarris, Michael G. Strintzis

Nikos Grammalidis
ngramm at iti.gr

Abstract
This paper presents a novel approach for generating VRML animation
sequences from Sign Language notation, based on MPEG-4 Body
Animation. Sign Language notation, in the well-known SignWriting
system, is provided as input and is initially converted to SWML
(SignWriting Markup Language), an XML-based format which has recently
been developed for the storage, indexing and processing of
SignWriting notation. Each sign box (basic sign) is then converted to
a sequence of Body Animation Parameters (BAPs) of the MPEG-4
standard, corresponding to the represented gesture. These sequences,
which can also be coded and/or reproduced by MPEG-4 BAP players, are
then used to animate H-anim compliant VRML avatars, reproducing the
exact gestures represented in sign language notation. Envisaged
applications include producing signing avatars for interactive
information systems (Web, E-mail, info–kiosks) and TV newscasts for
persons with hearing disabilities.

Download complete paper on this web page:
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/lisbon/lisbon04.html

Val ;-)
Sutton at SignWriting.org

See attached...