handwriting lesson for kids

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Jan 11 16:30:19 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
January 11, 2007

Cherie and Donna -
I shipped a box of donated materials for your classroom to Georgia
School for the Deaf, yesterday by Fed-Ex, so you should receive the
box today...I am so happy about the kids learning SignWriting tomorrow!

Inside the box is the Level 1 Workbooks, where kids can color...it is
a coloring book, and a writing book...one sign is introduced, and
then the kids are asked to write each symbol in that sign by hand, in
rows...but not in Handwriting....but in Hand-Printing....the same
symbols the way they look when they are printed by computer...

This is important because all beginning writers need to get to know
the symbols well, before jumping into fast-shortened-writing...There
is no rush. Kids have a right to learn to write slowly and carefully
in the beginning...Learning slowly and carefully is very important to
give a foundation to learning...

Fast-shortened-writing, what I call Handwriting, is for advanced
readers and writers who already know the symbols very very well...who
can assume knowledge of the signs and the writing system, if
something is hard to read later...

I am glad, when I was a child, our society was less rushed and busy.
We took several years to learn to hand-print properly, before
learning handwriting...

Tell us how it goes...smile...

Val ;-)