Shane's Glowing Intro

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Mon Jan 15 20:58:44 UTC 2007

In ASL, sometimes space can be mirrored and sometimes it is fixed. For
example, if I am referring to North, South, East, or West, the
direction must remain the same. I cannot simply mirror the entire sign.
The movement must go in the proper direction. Usually, this means if I
know where North, South, East, and West are, then I sign that directly.
If however, I don't know where North, South, East, or West are located,
then I sign it as if I have the map of the US in front of me (that's
how I was taught). Other directional signing will also be affected. If
I mean go forward and enter the room on your left, mirroring would put
the room on the right.

That's what I have at the moment. I will look for more examples later
if I can find them.

Thanks,

Stuart