wrist flex versus rotation

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Jul 6 21:17:15 UTC 2007

On Jul 6, 2007, at 1:51 PM, Adam Frost wrote:
> The only difference that I see between what Cherie is trying to
> write and the sign HAPPEN (other than the handshapes of course) is
> that in HAPPEN the wrist is not bent while in Cherie's sign it is.
> In fact, it would be the difference between HAPPEN and ARGUE. I
> just looked up the spelling of ARGUE and it has neither wrist flex
> nor forearm rotation. It is just down arrows. Is it possible that
> that is what should be written?
> Adam

Notice how you mentioned that "the wrist is not bent in the sign for
HAPPEN". Exactly! The Wrist-bending is what I call a Wrist Flex.
Cherie was flexing her wrist. The sign for HAPPEN is a Rotation,
because the palm facing changes without any bending of the wrist. In
the case of HAPPEN, the forearms are projecting straight forward, and
they rotate. Cherie was flexing her wrists as far as I can see, like
the sign for WOW: