Existing lessons teaching Rotation & Wrist Flexes

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Jul 8 01:02:29 UTC 2007

On Jul 7, 2007, at 5:50 PM, Adam Frost wrote:
> I had read those manuals and never would have thought that the
> forearm and the hand have to rotate on the same axis to use the
> rotation symbols. The only thing that would have hinted to this
> would have been a line in the SingoEscritura Textbook from chapter
> 9 and 10: "The double-stemmed curved arrows mean that the hand
> rotates on the wall plane," and "The single-stemmed curved arrow
> means that the hand's rotation is parallel to the floor." So I
> would have done the same thing that Cherie did because there is
> nothing that makes the clear distinction of what happens if the
> hand is not rotating on the same axis with the arm like in WOW. So
> I think that is what Kelly Jo is referring to, but I am sure that
> this has never really come up before. But that will always come up
> when you have new people learning a system, new issues come up. :-)
> Adam

Hello Adam, Cherie, Kelly Jo and everyone -

That is interesting, Adam. Thanks for telling me. We will need to
develop better explanations then. But the diagrams in the
SignoEscritura book show that the arm is staying in one place and
rotating...no traveling in the diagram at least...One thing that I
stressed in my chapter on Axial Movement in the Lessons in
SignWriting Textbook, is that the Rotation Symbols stay in one
place....see attached...I underlined it in red....It is on this web
page:

Axial Movement
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/128%20Axial-Movement.html