Cat in the Hat 9

K.J. Boal kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 9 03:20:02 UTC 2007

Hi Cherie & all -I haven't had any time for editing lately, but I thought I'd take a stab at writing this one.  I've written my take on the part from "fish" to balancing the tray on the foot.  I made a couple of minor changes to some of the other signs, too.  For the foot motion, I've written the hip line and the raised right leg with the foot on the end without a movement symbol; and I changed the movement to two short double-stemmed arrows because I didn't see much motion when you put the tray down (plus it's easier to place the smaller arrows when there's so much going on).  I also changed the orientation of the handshapes holding the tray because it looked on the video like your hands were pretty close to straight horizontal there.  It's in SignPuddle as "KJ - Cat in the Hat 9"; you can see the other changes there in "balancing the fishbowl", "and", and "balancing the ship".On the subject of the "balancing" signs, let me explain why I made the handshapes vertical even if your hands weren't exactly in that position.  It's because they are "balancing" signs, and you can't balance something on a diagonal finger.  So, even if you couldn't make your hands vertical as you reached across your body (and I thought you came pretty close), I felt them to be more vertical than diagonal.I think that's all I have to say about that . . . my version of "and" is just an alternative suggestion.  Either way works . . .KJTo: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.eduSubject: [sw-l] Cat in the Hat 9From: CWren at doe.k12.ga.usDate: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:52:48 -0400
 A major challenge in this one--
 When the cat says he can hold the milk on a dish, I pick up my right
foot, and through constructed action, place the tray with the milk on the
foot, while I balance on the other one.  In the signwriting, I showed
the torso movement, but not the foot movement, cuz I don't know how....
 Does it need to be there?  There are several spots where torso
action is important, and I am not sure I'm doing it correctly...

I also had a devil of a time with the
handshape/orientation for the tray itself.  It doesn't look right
any way I tried it.  The palms are facing each other, thumbs forward
away from the body, knuckles aiming mostly toward the ground and forward.

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information contained
herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential information. If
you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately,
and delete it from your system.