Rotation symbols stay in one place

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 7 13:24:13 UTC 2007

I have to agree with Cherie here Valerie, you show the same movement with the arm forward and with the arm parallel to my body.  Neither is a flex.  The two movements you attach are both rotations.

A flex is like "flag" or "yes", is my attached movement correct? I've put the same index finger through a flex and a rotation with the arm forward.  Is this right?

Charles

Valerie Sutton <signwriting at MAC.COM> wrote: On Jul 6, 2007, at 6:58 PM, Cherie Wren wrote:
> If I hold my forearm out straight in front of me, and point my
> finger out straight, then turn it over so that the palm moves from
> facing to the side to facing down to the floor, that is a rotation.
> (like HAPPEN)
> If I do everything exactly the same, except my finger is now
> pointing to the left (at a 90 degree angle to my arm) and the
> forearm moves exactly as it did above until the finger points
> down;  thats a wrist flex, because my wrist is =flexed=, not
> because its flexing?  Position trumps movement?

See attached for the sign for HAPPEN. The Rotation Symbol represents
three palm facings...from white to black. That one Rotation Symbol
means the movement starts following the numbers 1, 2 and 3. The thumb
paints the curve in space of the rotation. And the forearm stays in
one place. There is no traveling of the arm. The only movement is the
palm changing.

I did not see this movement in the sign we were discussing. Your arm
did not stay in one place. It moved down. And the palm facing did not
change. So it was a different movement.

The Rotation Symbol rotating the same but with the finger pointing
left, would look like this:

The wrist is locked with Rotation Symbols. No flexing or bending of
the wrist can occur, so your description above is impossible if there
is a wrist bending down, that is another symbol...

Rotation Symbols do not write wrist flexes..

Sorry this has been so hard...

Thanks for all you are doing, Cherie...

Sooner or later it will start to make sense I believe...

Sorry to hear you have to use a wrist brace...