Vals report...ISWA, SW Literature, Skype, videophones

K.J. Boal kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 25 19:10:44 UTC 2007

Hi again Val & Everyone!> From: sutton at signwriting.org> Subject: [sw-l] Vals report...ISWA, SW Literature, Skype, videophones> Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:41:52 -0700> To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu> > SignWriting List> June 24, 2007> > Hello Kelly Jo and Everyone!> > Thanks for this message...> > K.J. Boal wrote:> > I haven't been doing much online lately, sorry I haven't kept you  > > updated!  Yes, I did recently install Skype (can we set a time to  > > chat so I can see how it works sometime, Val?) and yes, I do own a  > > PocketPuddle.  Thanks for the fix info, Adam!> > That's fine. I have been busy working on the ISWA symbols in June.  > The List has been quiet, so it is a good time for me to work on the  > ISWA. I completed all the white palms and all the white arrowheads.  > That was a BIG job that had been bugging me for a long time...a job  > that had not gotten done for over a year...maybe several years...but  > i finished that two days ago...Now I am starting to add the Ethiopian  > Handshapes that we need to write Ethiopian Sign Language...You can  > follow my progress a little on the web, as I post the new handshapes:> > SignWriting in Ethiopia> http://www.signwriting.org/ethiopia> > It involves adding around 10 new handshapes, plus two others from  > Italian Sign Language. Then there are a few Movement Symbols that can  > be improved, with different sizes of Movement Arrows etc...and then  > the ISWA 1.0 will be posted on the web under the OFL License. I  > believe this work will take all summer behind the scenes and maybe by  > September the ISWA will be ready to be installed into existing  > software...> > And it is June and some people are traveling...I hope everyone is  > enjoying June!!> > I am glad you have Skype, Kelly Jo!> > I am going to try to be on Skype more often now if possible...As you  > know, my Skype name is: valeriesutton> > I experienced my first Skype video conference around 10 days ago with  > a research group in Europe. Both Steve and I were in the conference  > and it was an amazing experience...> > So maybe a group of you from SIL will want to meet with me?...or one  > at a time...doesn't matter!> > So to use Skype, just turn it on and try to call me...I will be on  > Skype Monday morning California time 9:00am to 11:00am.> It was great being able to chat with you just now, Val!  I've checked more thoroughly and my computer definitely doesn't have a built-in microphone (though, obviously, it does have built-in speakers! ) so I'll have to get one separately.  I think I have an older one sitting around somewhere at home, that I used to use for a tape recorder . . .  but I won't be able to look for it until August.  At least we have video! > > >> > I've been in North Dakota for two weeks now, taking the Literacy  > > Megacourse offered through SIL.  I've been having some computer  > > problems (losing access privileges to my saved documents), so  > > between my schoolwork and trying to figure out how to fix that,  > > I've been pretty busy!  Speaking of which, it's 10:30 here and I  > > still have one more reading assignment to do... just taking a short  > > break!> > > Hope you are enjoying your course!> > Have you lost access privileges in SignPuddle 1.5? Or are talking  > about other software? If it is SignPuddle 1.5, let me try to help you  > with that...maybe on Skype you can explain to me what happened...> No, no, it has nothing to do with SignPuddle.  It's not software I lose access to, just individual files and folders that I've saved onto the Desktop or into My Documents.  PowerPoint, MS Word documents, PDFs and the Sleeping Beauty videos - I've lost access to all of them at one point or another (I was SO glad when the DVD arrived!!!).  Once in a while I can get access back but only for short periods of time, so I just delete everything I'm concerned about.  (Any of you computer people out there aware of a problem like this with XP?  It happens whenever I drag-and-drop a file into another folder.  All the computer tech here could think to do is wipe the hard drive and reinstall XP, but that's kind of drastic.  It was a lot worse when I had MS Office installed, too; I would lose Word and PowerPoint documents even when I didn't move them.  I've only lost one file since uninstalling Office - a PDF that I dragged into another folder.  Any ideas?)> > > Looking forward to your comments when you get time, Val... I did go  > > in and fix up one of the earlier pages, but I haven't done all the  > > modifications Adam's suggested yet... is there going to be a  > > separate editing committee like the DAC, or is the List basically  > > going to be the editing committee?> > I am sorry I have not been able to participate until July, but it is  > my plan to devote the month of July to completing several documents,  > including Sleeping Beauty, the SignPuddle Reference Manual, Bible  > chapters and passages, Mother Goose Rhymes and so forth...Oh, not a problem!  I've been busy myself :-); I had just been wondering. > And thank you, to Adam, for all your wonderful support and feedback  > that you gave Kelly Jo and I have saved all your comments and  > messages to look at in detail when I start putting the document  > together into a true publication in July...> > I would love to have more DAC members read your work, Kelly Jo, and  > if Adam or Stuart or Philippe or Kevin have time in July, I will  > accept...What I plan to do is to really view Darline's video  > carefully and edit your work that way, of course always sharing with  > you any suggestions on the writing of the signs...Once I have the  > document in one piece...then I can submit the PDF to all of you for  > the final editing...so one way or the other it will get done by the  > end of July.Sounds good!> > I have to submit a report to the Claire Giannini Fund by August 15th,  > showing Literature we have produced this year with their funding...I  > am grateful to all the writers this year...I hope to submit Sleeping  > Beauty, and Cherie Wren's collections of writings, and some Bible  > passages and so forth...> > >> > Looking forward to hearing from you soon... I wasn't sure for a  > > while there whether the List was being blocked by the University's  > > firewall, but I guess people've just been busy.  At least, I  > > haven't been getting many messages lately...> > Some people have written to me privately lately...and then people are  > away too...> > I am also spending more time on the phone now, because of Skype...and  > I have had several videophone conferences too...> > Sometimes I think we all need a little down time!> > So tomorrow morning (Monday morning) I will be on Skype from 9:00 to  > 11:00...Look forward to seeing or hearing from you there!> > > Val ;-)> > > Valerie Sutton> Sutton at SignWriting.org> > 1. SignWriting> Read & Write Sign Languages> http://www.SignWriting.org> > 2. SignBank> Create Sign Language Databases> http://www.SignBank.org> > 3. SignPuddle> Online Sign Language Community> http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle> > 4. SignWriting List> Technical Support: Ask questions to the List> http://www.SignWriting.org/forums/swlist> > 5. DanceWriting> Read & Write Dance Movement> http://www.DanceWriting.org> > 6. MovementWriting> Read & Write All Body Movement> http://www.MovementWriting.org> > 7. SymbolBank> International Movement Writing Alphabet> http://www.MovementWriting.org/symbolbank> > 8. Non-profit Organization> Center for Sutton Movement Writing> http://www.SignWriting.org/forums/sponsors> > SignWriting Literature Project> The DAC, Deaf Action Committee> Center For Sutton Movement Writing> an educational nonprofit organization> P.O. Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038, USA> tel 858-456-0098   fax 858-456-0020> D-Link Videophone: 66.27.57.178> Skype Name: valeriesutton> > >