Vals report...ISWA, SW Literature, Skype, videophones

Jonathan duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Tue Jun 26 02:57:03 UTC 2007

K.J. Boal wrote:
> Hi again Val & Everyone!
> No, no, it has nothing to do with SignPuddle.  It's not software I
> lose access to, just individual files and folders that I've saved onto
> the Desktop or into My Documents.  PowerPoint, MS Word documents, PDFs
> and the Sleeping Beauty videos - I've lost access to all of them at
> one point or another (I was SO glad when the DVD arrived!!!).  Once in
> a while I can get access back but only for short periods of time, so I
> just delete everything I'm concerned about.  (Any of you computer
> people out there aware of a problem like this with XP?  It happens
> whenever I drag-and-drop a file into another folder.  All the computer
> tech here could think to do is wipe the hard drive and reinstall XP,
> but that's kind of drastic.  It was a lot worse when I had MS Office
> installed, too; I would lose Word and PowerPoint documents even when I
> didn't move them.  I've only lost one file since uninstalling Office -
> a PDF that I dragged into another folder.  Any ideas?)
Hi Kelly Jo,
    The only thing I can think of is that maybe some of your folders has
the "Make this folder private" setting selected.  Then if you log in as
another user, you won't have access to that folder or the files in the
folder. This may not be your case.  The other thing I have seen happen
is I created a folder and files with an administrator account.  Then
when I went to modify then using a limited account, I could no longer
access my files.  So I created a new folder with the limited account.
Then went to the administrator account and moved the files to the newly
created folder.  Then I could access the files from both accounts.  I
hope this helps.

Jonathan