drag-and-drop problems

K.J. Boal kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 27 04:30:06 UTC 2007

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:57:03 -0600From: duncanjonathan at yahoo.caTo: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.eduSubject: Re: [sw-l] Vals report...ISWA, SW Literature, Skype, videophones

K.J. Boal wrote:

  Hi again Val & Everyone!

No, no, it has nothing to do with SignPuddle.  It's not
software I lose access to, just individual files and folders that I've
saved onto the Desktop or into My Documents.  PowerPoint, MS Word
documents, PDFs and the Sleeping Beauty videos - I've lost access to
all of them at one point or another (I was SO glad when the DVD
arrived!!!).  Once in a while I can get access back but only for short
periods of time, so I just delete everything I'm concerned about.  (Any
of you computer people out there aware of a problem like this with XP?
It happens whenever I drag-and-drop a file into another folder.  All
the computer tech here could think to do is wipe the hard drive and
reinstall XP, but that's kind of drastic.  It was a lot worse when I
had MS Office installed, too; I would lose Word and PowerPoint
documents even when I didn't move them.  I've only lost one file since
uninstalling Office - a PDF that I dragged into another folder.  Any
ideas?)

Hi Kelly Jo,
    The only thing I can think of is that maybe some of your folders
has the "Make this folder private" setting selected.  Then if you log
in as another user, you won't have access to that folder or the files
in the folder. This may not be your case.  The other thing I have seen
happen is I created a folder and files with an administrator account.
Then when I went to modify then using a limited account, I could no
longer access my files.  So I created a new folder with the limited
account. Then went to the administrator account and moved the files to
the newly created folder.  Then I could access the files from both
accounts.  I hope this helps.

JonathanHi Jonathan,I'm going to use italics here because I'm not sure the program is showing the difference between the old message and the one I'm typing now.  No, I checked on the "Make this folder private" setting and that's not it . . . as far as I know, my account is the only account on this computer - there are no separate user or administrator accounts.  I made the folder in my default account, made the file in my default account, saved the file to the Desktop and realized I wanted it in the folder, so I dragged-and-dropped it and instantly access was denied.  It doesn't tell me I don't have access privileges, though; it just says, "There was an error opening this document.  Access is denied."  Is there any way I can check to see whether my account has administrator privileges; and if not, how to get them???Thanks for your suggestions,KJ