Need feedback - South Korean handshape

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Jun 29 21:39:59 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
June 29, 2007

Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> different photos on different days with different "handmodels" will
> lead to
> some unforeseen outcomes -- smile -- Stefan ;-)

Hi Stefan, Eyasu and Jason!
Yes...that is so true. And then the hard part after that is to choose
the proper symbol for it, because SignWriting, when it is written by
hand, is sooo flexible...I would just write four slightly curved
fingers with the thumb forward, and that would be that...

But when we are printing on computers, with ink jet printers for
example, sometimes the ink can blur, so the computer symbols need to
have enough space between the lines of the fingers to not blend the
ink, so each finger is readable...

That is why I would never have added these fine-lined fingers in the
old SignWriter DOS symbolset back in the 1980's and 1990's, because
the graphic-quality wasn't good enough...but now with better
graphics, and later SVG development, maybe we can get away with fine-
lined symbols...

So here are some possible choices for the South Korean handshape that
Jason showed us...Which one fits the best do you think? I really need
to have feedback, because every one of these symbols is 96 symbols
added to the ISWA (all the rotations and flops), and although all can
be added (a few are already there)...the more we add, the bigger the
symbolset gets and the harder it is for programmers...so please tell
me your opinions...should every one of these be added to the IMWA?
And Jason...do you see a version you like the best?

Many thanks for your help - See attached....Val ;-)