SignPuddle 1.5 ready to go

Fri Mar 30 02:30:06 UTC 2007

Hi List,

Hope everyone is well.  I have SignPuddle 1.5 ready to go.  You can use
it online right now http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5

Editing is a lot easier now.  There is no special dictionary editors
page.  You can edit signs from any page if you have the right security.

Once you register for a dictionary and log in, all of the signs you add
will be assigned to your username.  This gives you the  rights to edit
the signs you've entered without being an editor for the whole dictionary.

If you don't register, all new signs will be linked with the computer
you used to add the signs.

I've transfered all of the 1.0 puddles.  They will need some cleaning
up.  Not all of the special characters transfered correctly and some of
the sign spellings are askew.  But SignPuddle 1.5 uses Unicode, so all
languages are fair game.  If you want to be an editor for any particular
dictionary to help clean it up, let me or Val know. Or reply to the list
and we'll get it set up.

SignPuddle 1.5 can have a multilingual interface.  If you want to help
translate the SignPuddle screens, reply and I'll create a user interface
puddle for your languages and give you the security rights to edit the
UI puddle.  The great part about the translation is that you use the
same SignPuddle interface.

Currently, the free and open dictionaries don't allow for image or video
uploading.  This is something that Val and I are discussing.  We'll see
how it goes.

I've given Val the first 5 PocketPuddles.  It's very cool.  For Windows,
just plug and play.  For Mac, it requires a few steps that are straight
forward, but it reconfigures the built in web server and requires the
use of the Terminal application.

I'm working on the last few items of my todo list.  Then I'll complete
the documentation and the information will be a lot more organized than
this email.

Regards,
-Steve